Tax Support Home Page | Contact Us | About Us

Online Discussion Forum For UK Tax Professionals and Accountants

Tax Support Forum logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Liz  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2017 14:44:06(UTC)
Liz

Groups: Registered

Not a tax related questions but search Google for a fix to the fact that on my windows 10 PC the search box which is usually just to the right of the "start" four windows icon in the task bar has disappeared and the systems icon tray which is usually to the left of the clock on the right of the task bar has also disappeared.

They were both there yesterday when I turned off my PC but not there today.

A restart a couple of times has not fixed this.

Presumably the task bar is either corrupted in some way or some setting has turned itself off.

A windows update was automatically installed the day before so maybe that has something to do with it.

Any help appreciated. I can work but not easy access the volume, dropbox, onedrive, printer tray, snagit and other items that usually sit in the system try and not being able to use the search box to load some programs quickly is rather annoying!!!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Liz
Sponsor
Offline Mike  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:25:39(UTC)
Mike

United Kingdom

Hi Liz

See if there is a windows corruption that comes up...

Launch the "task manager" by either Ctrl + Alt + Del or Right Click the Task Bar then select "Task Manager"

In Task Manager:

1. Click "file"
2. Then "run new task"
3. Type in "powershell" (without the quotes)
4. Tick the box for "create this task with administrative privileges"
5. The click OK

Powershell should then open (usually a window with a blue screen behind) and will say something like C:\windows\system32>

Here you want to type:

sfc /scannow

There is a space between the c and the /

And hit the return key.

The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results.

a) Windows did not find any integrity violations
b) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired, or
c) Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste):

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

... into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key.

Again note that there is a space between each work and the following / but no space after the /

This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

As with all things PC and Windows related you need to take care and if you are not at all sure what you are doing seek some advice from someone who knows something about computers. This is a widely commented on procedure so should no be a issue in itself.

If that does not work then something seems to be corrupt in your task bar settings that is likely to prove a bit more technical to fix.

This is quite a rare problem from what I hear but I think this fixed it for someone in our office.

Maybe someone else knows of a solution to this is this does not work?

Cheers

Mike

Offline Mike  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:34:34(UTC)
Mike

United Kingdom

... Liz and then you will probably need to restart your PC probably best to shut down and then restart.

Incidentally are you using a Surface Pro 4?

I think this can get stuck in tablet or desktop mode or somehow confused between the two.

The other thing to try is to turn it off.

Take of the keyboard and restart the PC not connected to any other screen or power supply.

It will then turn on in Tablet mode (or should).

If you can then see the search box and system icon trays try then (while it is still on) reconnected the keyboard and any second screen and the power supply or hub connector.

I think that is a possible fix to effectively refresh the task bar.

Hope this helped!

Mike
Offline Liz  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:48:20(UTC)
Liz

Hey Mike

You are a star! Yes indeed it is a Surface Pro4...

Tried all the things you suggested and now I have the search box and the system item tray back in the task bar!

That was crazy.

If this happens again think I will first thing I try is simply taking the keyboard off and power hub off to force a restart in table mode before then reconnecting the keyboard and power to get back into desktop mode to see if that fixes it.

It might be a simple as that I think to refresh the task bar.

Not sure as did all of them which was the but that fixed the missing items in the task bar.

Having read a bit more about the missing system icon tray issue on various websites there is also things in the System Registry using RegEdit that can be done to but as editing the system registry (always take a backup of it!!) which is a bit tecky and not rally for those not too experienced with PCs. I would usually leave that to a last resort!

Certainly not a good idea if you don't have a FULL backup and the time to restore your PC completely if anything goes wrong!

Before I tried your fix I had deleted a line out of the System Registry to do with the system icon tray and restarted the SP4 a couple of times trying to find a fix but that did not bring the search bar and system icon trays back.

Computers eh great when the are working but fixes can take ages to figure out!!!

Cheers

Liz
Offline Liz  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2017 10:20:11(UTC)
Liz

Mike

An update on this issue about the System Tray and its icon disappearing and the search box from the task bar.

Think this might be specific to the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and cannot believe I am the only one with this issue looks like it from a Google search yesterday.

The fix is actually very simple!!!

I was right the SP4 is getting confused between tablet mode (which I very rarely use it in (i.e. no keyboard attached) ad desktop mode in some way I think.

EASY SOLUTION!

Basically I turned my SP4 on this morning and the system tray and the search box were missing from the task bar again.

This time all I did was detach the keyboard and the second screen but just unplugging them (and the power supply) then reconnected them and hey presto the system tray and the search box reappear in the task bar.

You probably only need to detach the keyboard or second screen is my guess as one of these is likely cuasing the glitch in the task bar on bootup!

Very strange clearly a but of a windows 10 / SP4 glitch but easily fixable in a few seconds!

It took a few hours though to stubble across the solution trying everything along the way!!!

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!!!

Cheers

Liz
Offline Liz  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2017 21:41:42(UTC)
Liz

Bit more on this issue.

It seems to be the Surface Pro 4 Docking Station that is causing the problem of the missing System Icon tray and tax bar search box!!

Simply disconnting it waiting 10 seconds or so then reconnecting it brings back the missing System Icon Tray and Contrana seafrch box to the task bar.

Didn't happen for the first year or so so my guess is a good old Windows Update has introduced this issue recently!!!

Easy to fix each time it happens which is not everytime I turn the machine on.

Shame this silly little issue now arises and for the unwary it can take a hell of a long time to figure out it is the Docking Station causing the issue. As far as I could find out from a extensive Google search no one has other than here now posted the simple solution (which took me ages to narrow it down too!!!)

Otherwise the SP4 is a pretty amazing PC, very fast, quick to bootup and turn off, light easy to take to clients or on the move. Battery life not too bad. Quiet for the most part but fan kicks in when onedrive and other uploads are syncing etc.

Liz
Offline Jack  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2017 12:14:41(UTC)
Jack

United Kingdom

Hey Liz and Mike

I have this issue today and found this forum post and it certainly saved me a lot of time going around the houses to find a fix! Thank.

It is clearly a docking station issue.

After reading the posts here all I did was simply disconnect the surface "dock" as Microsoft call it waited as second or two then reconnected it and the system tray and search box in the task bar are back as normal.

This much be a bug in the surface doc drivers surely.

I searched the web for answers on this before actually finding the answer on a forum (HERE!) I joined back in 2014 that is usually about tax and accounting issues! Blyme lol.

Cheers
guys

cool tip thanks hopefully these posts will help a few others with this little bug on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 quickly and easily!

Jack